Retrieval Day was a Success!

First of all, I just want to thank all of you for being so supportive and sending positive thoughts my way!  I want to send a special shout out to the ladies that sent me supportive messages last night when I couldn’t sleep.  Amazingly enough, once I wrote that post last night, I went upstairs and fell right asleep so I didn’t read your posts until this morning.  However, they were very comforting and gave me positive things to think about during the drive in….so Stupid Stork, Battlefish, and JustCyclingAlong THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!  Your words came at a time when I need them the most! :)

The day started out well.  We were both up and about by 5:30am and arrived about 10 minutes early to our 6:30am appointment.  After pulling into the parking lot and picking a place to park, the attendant (an older man…maybe in his 60’s) told us to come park at the front spot and moved the cone that was blocking the space (so now the car was between the curb and another open space with a cone, which I assume is for other VIP patients like ourselves…haha).  He told us that we have a nice car (Chevy Tahoe…not like it’s a ferrari or anything) and he didn’t want to see it get hit.  He was very friendly and wished us luck going in.  It is a hospital, so it’s not like it’s IVF procedures only.  He was just being nice in general.  I felt like this was a sign that today would be a good day :)

We started out going over the consent for them to use our data in their Repository study.  Basically, we consented for them to replace our names with numbers and use our information to group with others to help them understand the IVF process even more.  Of course we want to give a very small contribution to the research of IVF to helpfully help those that will come along after us.  Then it was back to the nurses station where we met M who went over all our paperwork, put on my hospital bracelet and started my IV.  We were the first of 4 (yes 4!!!) retrievals today.  M started the IV in my left hand, but as she did it she heard something pop.  Apparently the IV was in, but my hand started to swell a bit, bruise a bit, and it wasn’t painful, but it was not completely comfortable.  After about 10 minutes went by (once the anesthesiologist went over everything and my RE came in to answer any questions) M decided to take out my IV and do it again in a different place.  I was very happy she suggested this as I was thinking about asking her.  She was very apologetic, but it really wasn’t a big deal.  It was uncomfortable, but not painful.  I was more focused on what might happen if the IV wasn’t completely okay and I wasn’t getting the meds properly.  So once the new one was in, I felt comfortable and confident.  I only teared up once while waiting…I just became overwhelmed, but was easily comforted by B.

Then I walked myself and my IV into the operating room.  This was slightly intimidating, but I did okay.  I remember feeling really happy because all of the people in the room were women and that made me feel safe…I think I’m just biased and believe women to be more competent than men.  I also saw this as a good sign.  I got myself situated on the table, laid down, made a comment about being thankful that the blankets they were laying on me were so warm, put on the oxygen mask, heard the anesthesiologist say that I might feel stinging when the meds went into my IV, but that she would put some numbing medicine in too so hopefully I wouldn’t feel it, and then I WAS OUT!  The next thing I know, I’m waking up back in the nurses station curtain with B.  It took me several seconds to realize where I was (I guess I thought I would still be in the operating room) and then was able to sit up and start talking to B.  Apparently the first thing I asked him was, “How was the Scrooge room”…it took me about a minute more to say what I actually meant, which was “How was the Splooge room”.  To which he quietly replied, “stop yelling splooge!!!…we are behind a curtain, people can hear you!”  hahaha!

Then M came back in and took out my IV.  She got me some cranberry juice and a few saltines.  I didn’t have any pain or discomfort at all and no nausea.  After about 10 more minutes of sitting up and talking to the nurse, a person from the lab came in and said that they retrieved 5 eggs.  She said they wouldn’t know if they are all mature until they did the ICSI procedure 4 hours later and that the nurse would call me tomorrow to let me know how many were mature and how many fertilized.  The nurse would also instruct me to start the prometrium suppositories and estrogen patches.  I am happy with the number 5…it is actually the number that B predicted before we even knew how many follicles there were.  I also looked up what numerology says about the number 5 and this is what it said, “5 is the most dynamic and energetic of the single digits!”  I’ll take it! :)

I was given 2 prescriptions when I left…Percocet for the pain over the next couple of days as needed and 2 pills of Valium – 1 to take 1 hour before the transfer and 1 to bring with me to the hospital.

Once we got home, I just laid on the couch and watched some TV while B made me breakfast.  I just did TV watching for the morning, had lunch and then got bored with TV.  B was tired so he also laid down on the couch to nap.  I was starting to feel a bit cramp and uncomfortable so I took 1/2 a Percocet and closed my eyes…I guess I was out for about an hour.  As of now, I’m feeling pretty good.  Overall I feel a bit weak, but good.  I’ve been able to eat normally and I have peed about 10x.  B went out on errands today and got something to make for dinner.  I think we’ll just watch a movie together after dinner and I’ll take another 1/2 pill of Percocet and call it a night.  We will be up fairly early tomorrow for the Brothers of the Sun Tour (Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw) in Foxboro tomorrow night.  It will be a long day, but I’m really looking forward to it and feeling relieved that I am feeling so good.  Now I will just have to deal with the morons bugging me about not drinking….oh well!  I’m happy with how everything went and we will know how many eggs fertilized before our day begins so I will just hold onto the good news all day long! :)



8 thoughts on “Retrieval Day was a Success!

  1. Awesome! I’m glad the whole thing went so smoothly, and that they got a good number. I hope they’re all fertilizing away as we speak. Can’t wait to get the next update on your embryos! :)

    PS- I can’t wait to find out when my retrieval will be! This is all so exciting!

  2. Yay! Awesome. I am glad the whole thing went well. It gives me a lot more confidence for when I go to do mine! And 5 is a terrific number. I hope you get the good news today that all 5 were mature and fertilized. Keep the good news going!!

  3. I am so happy to hear things went well and what an awesome way to treat yourself by going to the concert. By the way, I saw Tim and Kenny last month and the show is phenomenal. Anyways I hope you get good news today and I can’t wait to hear about it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s